Tuesday, September 23, 2008

On Learning Centering Prayer

In the garden, settling down to wait,
White metal bench cold under my bare feet,
I close my eyes.
Shh...settle down, my thoughts.
Be still.

God -- God -- God
One word dropped gently into the stillness
Rippling out like water in a pond.
Like an infant snuggled at its mother's breast,
Blindly opening its mouth for milk,
I wait.
Oh Infinite, have mercy on the ignorant
And come near.

In the distance, a dog barks.
The metal bench cuts into my back.
Grumbling, a car starts up and my toes are cold.
I peek at my watch.
Only ten minutes passed!
Shh...settle down, my thoughts.
Be still and wait.
Shh, rest in the presence of the Eternal.
Shh.

The cool breeze slips timidly over my skin
As I open my eyes. The garden is still.
Shh! A coyote runs by, ears up, limping on three legs,
As I hold my breath and break into a smile.

No comments: