Monday, February 16, 2009

HPV required?

Today I learned that the HPV vaccine has been made mandatory for immigrant women and girls between 11-26 applying for a visa to enter the USA. This disturbs me. The medical community thinks that this vaccine is safe, but really it hasn't been around long enough to know its long-term effects. It's not mandatory for American women to receive the vaccine, although from all my recent doctor's visits I can tell you that they are sure pushing it. Basically, to me the HPV vaccine seems different than the other infectious disease vaccines that immigrants are required to get, and it doesn't seem like it should be one of the required vaccines. What if France decided that US female citizens couldn't apply to come to France unless they'd been vaccinated for HPV?
If you follow this link, you can learn more about the objections to this newly created requirement and sign the petition if you so desire.
Here's what Angry Asian Man's blog says about it: "Many groups, including NAPAWF [National Asian Pacific American Women's Forum], believe the HPV vaccine should not be required of immigrants because it isn't currently required of U.S. citizens in any jurisdiction, and it's one of the most expensive vaccines on the market, basically making the already huge financial burden that much harder for immigrant women and their families. Shouldn't immigrant women, like all women, have the right to weigh the risks and benefits involved with making a medical decision, such as the HPV vaccine, and make an informed decision for themselves?"
Your thoughts?

4 comments:

Roi Et Mom said...

Outrageous. I've read of problems with this vaccine; noone should be required to get it. It's definately an undue burden for immigrant women. I have signed the petition.

Jessica said...

Last summer I felt pressured by my doctor to get this vaccine despite my protests. I'm a people-pleaser so I'm sure that didn't help. Anything like this that is clearly in the "test stages" should not be required for any person.

Emergingjourney said...

Is it a burden? Yes. Is it wrong to push it? I don't think so. The thing is that with a little shot we can stop four of the major bad players in cervical and uterine cancers. The vaccine is crazy effective against those specific viruses.

I just spent a couple weeks doing colposcopy and cutting little samples out of women's cervix. I have never been more happy to not have a cervix. If I could prevent some of those women from having to go through that I would for SURE. That vaccine prevents a TON of these lesions.

I am a fan of preventative medicine. I strongly recommend it to all of my patients that I can.

Jenny said...

BUT...even if you think something should be strongly recommended to all patients, there's a difference between a vaccine that should be strongly recommended and one that should be mandatory for immigration