Saturday, February 28, 2009

Trust in the midst of Doubt

"Trusting God does not mean that we will never have questions, doubts, or fears. We cannot simply turn off the natural thoughts and feelings that arise when we face difficult circumstances. Trusting God means that in spite of our questions, doubts, and fears we draw on his grace and continue to believe that he is loving, that he is in control, and that he is always working for our good. Such trust helps us to continue doing what is good and right, even in difficult circumstances."

Taken from The Peacemaker: A Biblical Guide to Resolving Personal Conflict
by Ken Sande, Updated Edition (Grand Rapids, Baker Books, 2003) p. 65

I love this quote because my natural response when I am afraid or have doubts is to beat myself up for lack of faith and to feel shame in approching God because of my perceived lack of faith. But to be afraid, to still have doubts, and to plunge forward on the path that is right, staking my life on the trust that God will come through on his promises, is another kind of response entirely.

No comments: