Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Another Hidden Cost of Poverty

Apparently my recent move into a house one main street south of my old apartment has put me into a new zipcode, which just made my car insurance go up. :( Personally, I think my new street is negligably more or less safe than the old one. I suppose I should count my blessings--I remember talking to friends who said their car insurance soared when they moved into South LA. From an insurer's standpoint, it makes sense to assume there is a higher risk factor in areas with more accidents, or more vandalism, or other problems. But from the customer's standpoint, I personally am annoyed that moving from one zip code to the one next door can increase my cost. It's just another example of how it is more expensive to be poor (how ironic is it that wealthy individuals living in "better" areas are charged less than poor folks in my neighborhood for car insurance?).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yeah, my health insurance jumped 25% since moving to Los Angeles from Pasadena. I feel ya.