Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Poverty and obesity

This article on L.A.'s city council banning new fast food restaurants in South L.A. (one of the poorest areas of L.A.) for 1 year reminded me of how true it is that poverty and obesity are often linked in the States. When there are limited supermarkets in your area and the ones that are there offer fewer selections of fresh fruits and vegetables (which cost more than beans and rice anyway), when fast food restaurants proliferate and are often the most affordable food, when you have to eat out of cans because you can't cook because you've lost your gas or lost your home...your health and weight suffer. Thankfully in NW Pasadena, the Food 4 Less and the King's Ranch (Latino focused supermarket) in our neighborhood have a decent selection of vegetables and fruits, though they are still more expensive than boxed food. But then of course, I have the financial resources and the car to drive to Trader Joe's or whatever upscale grocery stores I want to if I can't find what I'm looking for, and some of my neighbors don't.

Poverty is dang costly. :(

1 comment:

diamante said...

San Antonio needs to start banning fast food in places too. San Antonio was ranked the fattest city in the United States a couple years back. It also happens to have the most fast food joints per square mile. I'm a fan of having fast food bans. If it's not so conveninent people are less likely to go there. I've seen how detrimental it can be. Thanks for your post.