Sunday, April 11, 2010

Resurrection

I have been thinking about trying my hand at spoken word for some time now. I like words :), I used to write poems, and I like listening to spoken word so I always thought that it would be fun to try it myself.

As I was reflecting on the meaning of Jesus's resurrection and what that means for my own life, a spoken word/poem thing began to take shape as a way of verbalizing those thoughts. So here is my piece that I wrote and shared at the brunch my small group threw for Easter this year. It's not the same on the written page, but imagine me speaking it. :)

Resurrection

Knowing Jesus is not a quick ticket to happiness.
It's not no rain, no bain, no pain--that's novocaine, not Jesus.
It's not my right, my might, my fight--that's selfishness, not Jesus.

My life with Jesus has been an adventure,
Partnering with people and going places I never expected.
Lots of love and light and laughter.

And I have also done a lot of leaving.
Small deaths litter the landscape behind me:
Deaths of friendships, homes, innocence,
Whole countries and ways of life have come and gone.

Sometimes darkness stalks my own life too.
Fear, hopelessness, depression is pressing down
and I'm scratching clawing screaming
for a way out.

And all those labels
that people or places or past experiences
have placed on us.
--What are yours? I'll tell you some of mine--
Outsider. Unknown. Abandoned. Alone.

Resurrection comes into the midst of our woundedness
and says--Not True!

And I find that
mission and vision and
promise and purpose and
hope and healing
come as Jesus walks me through those deaths into life.

And I have a new name.
I am Chosen.
I am Beloved.
I am Known.
And Jesus will never leave me or abandon me.

Resurrection.
It's not no rain, no bain, no pain--that's not Jesus.

But it is the promise
that when we walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
that we are not alone, cause he has already been there.

It is the promise
That life can come out of death,
That life has come out of death,
And that Jesus makes all things new.

2 comments:

doug said...

Thank you for sharing your journey--powerful

Unknown said...

Beautiful, Jenny